Saturday, November 24, 2012

30 Days of Thankfulness-Day 23

Day 23-Thanksgiving-What’s the Point?

The last two days had 6 Objectives:

1. Eat
2. Giving Thanks
3. Family
4. Eat
5. Shopping Strategy
6. Eat

I spent my take partaking in #1,2,3,4 and 6.  Sadly/gladly I didn’t do #5.  This is the first year of many years of late, that shopping strategy wasn’t  priority for me.  The good part is, it left more time in my day for #1,2,3,4 and 6.
Pertaining to #1,4 and 6, I was responsible only for a vegetable and a salad one day and pumpkin bars and rolls the next. I am thankful that just the other day, I made a ridiculous amount of green beans that were well received and a salad that got raves from my children. So I repeated.  I bought rolls, so really I just had to make make pumpkin bars.  Sadly, I choose one with chocolate chips.  Though they were good, they really should be called chocolate chip pumpkin bar cookies.   Not so Thanksgiving Festive. 
The secret to the green beans is slow cooking in a homemade chicken broth.  No canned stuff here.  Homemade chicken broth from a homemade chicken, grown right here on the farm.
Dontcha know a homemade chicken takes better than a store bought chicken?  Well, broth from that homemade chicken tastes better than store bought broth too!  The second secret is homemade bacon, sliced thick.  Again, store bought bacon doesn’t taste nearly as good as bacon raised on our own farm.
If only I’d grown the green beans, people may have fainted when they tasted this recipe.  Growing my own beans will have to be for another year.  Maybe another lifetime.
The salad my children were oogling over is a bit of a mystery.  The ingredients were, iceberg lettuce, Wish Bone Italian dressing, sliced olives, croutons, shredded carrots, tomatoes.  Hmm….nothing tricky there! Kinda dump and go, but what the hey! Sadly, this time around, they didn’t eat hardly any.  DANG KIDS!
#2 is NOT unlike the veggies I try to gag my kids with everyday, I try to be thankful everyday, everyday, everyday! I’ll be honest, some days I gotta dig a little. On some topics, I gotta find that place in my head and in my heart. 
This holiday I was reminded of 567,598 reasons why I should be THANKFUL! 
Boom to the Pow for Thanksgiving.  Belly up!
Want to start at the beginning? Day 1 Want to follow along and learn more about farming and food? Click on over to 30 Days on a Prairie Farm Series. kickoff_30_days_prairie_farm_1_634872128566419996-300x119

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...